APPALACHIA SERVICE PROJECT
Memorial UMC is a long-time participant in Appalachia Service Project. ASP is a home repair ministry set in the rural areas of the Appalachian Mountains. The goal is to address “multi-generational and systemic poverty in this area by provding home repairs that make the dwellings warmer, safer, and drier.” Memorial has been sending teams every summer since 1996. Adult team leaders and Youth participants work together to serve the people in this area. It is hard work, but very rewarding.
HELPFUL VOLUNTEER INFORMATION
Here are some information sheets that will help you understand what is expected during the week:
Volunteers are required to turn in the following forms:
- ASP Volunteer Statement & Registration Form
- Memorial UMC Behavior Covenant
- Memorial UMC ONLINE Release Form
- UMVIM Supplemental Insurance Policy
The cost to send one person on this trip is typically around $550. We rely on the fundraising efforts of ALL participants to raise enough money so ALL can go on this trip. The minimum individual fundraising effort to go on the trip will be $350.
By far, the most important fundraiser that we do is the annual “Stock Sale”. People want to give money to a meaningful cause, if you simply take the time to ask, you might be surprised how easy raising money for ASP really is! Use the resources below or call Rodney or Chris for fundraising ideas!
Friends, family, teachers, etc. can “invest” $10 (or more) in you to go on the ASP trip and by investing in YOU they get:
- The ability to participate in the Project without having to leave home.
- A postcard from the work center sharing what we are doing.
- An invitation to a banquet in August where they will be able to eat a great meal and hear a report on what happened during the trip.
Stock Sale Forms: Download these and use them in your fundraising efforts
- Stock Sale Letter #1 – personalize and send this letter out to potential stockholders.
- Stock Sale Letter #2 – personalize and send this letter out to potential stockholders.
- Stock Sale Letter #3 – personalize and send this letter out to potential stockholders.
- Stock Sale Sales Sheet – please keep good records of who gave you money and with names, addresses and phone numbers! If we have no address we will not be able to invite them to the dinner or send them a postcard!
Every year we have a Car Wash. Please make every effort to attend this fundraiser. It is a lot of fun and you will be able to help raise money for the trip!