MEMORIAL UMC’s MISSION…
We are CALLED by Christ to
GROW in faith,
BUILD relationships, and
SERVE all people.
MONDAY APRIL 20 – FRIDAY APRIL 24
10:00 a.m. 10 @ 10 Weekday Devotions Online via Facebook
If you or a loved one would like to be added to the prayer list, please contact Lorna McCullough at 336-259-5814. If you put a name on the list, please keep in touch to let us know how that person is doing, as names are removed after three weeks. During the coming week, please pray for:
The United Methodist Church
All Military Personnel
Our UM Missionaries
Andrea Cain and Family
All those affected by Coronavirus
Our First Responders, Medical Community, and Essential Workers
Dr. and Mrs. Randall Thomas
Dr. and Mrs. Ronnie Melton
Skip Price and Family
Margaret Jones and Family
Victims of the recent tornadoes
SUNDAY WORSHIP OPPORTUNITIES
SUNDAYS AT 11 AM
HEAR RECORDINGS OF PAST 11 AM WORSHIP SERVICES ON WGOS AM 1070
We will continue offering 10 a.m. live worship service via Facebook and WGOS until further notice. At 11 a.m. on Sundays, we are airing recordings of past Memorial 11 a.m. worship services over WGOS. (Please keep this in mind when you hear the announcements read during these services! The messages are timeless, but the events are not.)
10 @ 10 WEEKDAY DEVOTIONS
During these days of physical distance, your ministerial staff are eager to offer daily messages of hope, and opportunities for connection and reflection. Tune in to 10 @ 10 on our Facebook page weekdays at 10 a.m., for 10 minutes of good news shared by Memorial’s ministers. Don’t have Facebook? Missed a 10 @ 10 one day? Not to worry. You can view past videos and read the printed versions of the devotions HERE.
VIEW OUR RECORDED EASTER WORSHIP
Although we could not be together in person this past Sunday, Easter was celebrated and many were gathered for worship online. If you were not able to join in Sunday, you still can view the service, which was recorded. Our worship included Easter music shared by Brian Russell, Paige Hepler, Norris Norwood, and a guest brass quintet directed by Danny Frye.
SCHOLARSHIPS FOR HIGH SCHOOL SENIORS
Due to Susan Frye by April 23
R.L. POPE BIBLE CLASS SCHOLARSHIP
Due to High School Guidance Counselor by May 4
Attention MUMC High School Seniors! There are two college scholarship opportunities for which you may be eligible: the United Methodist Women (UMW) Scholarship (application available HERE), and the R.L. Pope Bible Class Scholarship (guidelines available HERE, applications managed through the high school guidance department).
UMW Scholarship Eligibility: The applicant must be a member of Memorial United Methodist Church and/or an active member of Memorial United Methodist Youth Fellowship and a graduating high school senior. Selections will be based on youth who have demonstrated sound moral character and who have a strong academic standing. Deadline for emailing application to Susan Frye is April 23.
R.L. Pope Scholarship Eligibility: Application for this scholarship is open to seniors at Thomasville, East Davidson, Ledford, and Wheatmore High Schools. This will be the 27th consecutive annual award, which will benefit one deserving senior upon first-year entry to college. Applicants should contact the guidance office at their high school to coordinate getting the application and submitting it. Deadline for submitting application to high school guidance office is May 4.
A MESSAGE FROM THE FAMILY OF BARBARA HEPLER
WAYS YOU CAN HELP FROM HOME
DONATIONS FOR CCM
CCM continues to need our support. What was to have been our Lenten Food Drive is extending into Easter. Thank you for continuing to give. You may donate by mail, sending your checks for CCM to Memorial UMC, or you may give online.
GIVE BY MAIL:
Make checks payable to Memorial UMC, noting “CCM Food Drive” on the memo line. Send to the church at P.O. Box 428, Thomasville, NC 27361.
1. CLICK HERE to access the Financial Giving online form at our website, www.mumctville.org.
2. Fill in the amount you want to contribute.
3. At the end of the Fund/Budget Fund line, click the DOWN ARROW/TRIANGLE ICON and select Cooperative Community Ministries. (Do NOT select the + ANOTHER FUND button.)
4. Select GIVE ONCE or GIVE MULTIPLE TIMES, depending on your preference.
5. Select GIFT DATE to select a specific day or use the default of Today.
6. Enter your email address and click CONTINUE.
7. A new page will open where you enter your financial information. Click GIVE and you’re all set.
The site is safe and secure. Additionally, you can use this same website to do your tithing and church offerings.
CLOTH FACE MASKS
The CDC has advised that cloth face masks be worn if you must go out in public. Meanwhile, due to shortages, many healthcare workers also are requesting cloth masks. The Memorial UMC Sewing Ministry has been working quickly, producing hundreds of cloth masks already, and much more remains to be done. If you can sew, you can help! The sewing team has done the work of measuring and cutting fabric and elastic, making kits of ready-to-sew masks. Please pick up a bag of kits from the shelving in the church breezeway, and contact Katie Conant when you have completed masks to be collected.
RED CROSS BLOOD DRIVE
The Red Cross Blood Drive for April will be held Thursday April 16, 1:30-6:00 p.m., in the Christian Enrichment Center. If you have not made an appointment, please call the Red Cross before coming, as all appointment slots were filled as of Tuesday. If you have made an appointment already, thank you, and please notify the Red Cross if you cannot keep your appointment so your slot can be filled. The phone number is 800-733-2767. Thank you to all donors for supporting the community in this way.
The blood drive is an essential activity. Social distancing and protective measures are being taken during this month’s blood drive so this vital service can continue.
LET’S KEEP IN TOUCH
During the temporary closure of the church buildings, staying connected is of vital importance. We are offering a variety of options by which you can connect.
- 10@10: Daily Devotions are offered each weekday at 10 a.m. via Facebook Live. You can also access the devotions after the fact by visiting the Memorial UMC Thomasville Facebook page OR on our website by CLICKING HERE.
- Worship: We bring worship to you each Sunday morning at 10 a.m. The service is broadcast live via Facebook Live as well as on the radio at WGOS 1070. We also are airing recordings of past worship services on WGOS at 11 a.m.000
- Website: Visit our church website, mumctville.org, for the latest information and links to other opportunities for children and youth.
- Weekly Updates: Tune in on Wednesdays for an upbeat Weekly Update from Danny Leonard and Rodney Denton on Facebook Live. You can see the latest segment HERE.
- Newsletter and eNews: We will continue to send this weekly eNews, and to mail a copy to church members who do not use email.
- Clergy and Staff: The clergy and staff are available to serve you. You may contact members of the staff directly or by calling the church office at 336-472-7718 and following the instructions on the recording. Here is a list of staff phone extensions and email addresses, for reference:
Danny Leonard, Senior Minister – Ext. 16; email@example.com
Peggy Finch, Associate Minister – Ext. 15; firstname.lastname@example.org
Rodney Denton, Minister of Youth and Young Adults – Ext. 18; email@example.com
Lynda Hepler, Minister of Children and Families – Ext. 11; firstname.lastname@example.org
Brian Russell, Director of Contemporary Worship – Ext. 20; email@example.com
Danny Frye, Director of Music – Ext. 12; firstname.lastname@example.org
Susan Frye, Secretary – Ext. 14; email@example.com
Peggy May, Financial Secretary/Treasurer – Ext. 13; firstname.lastname@example.org
Jarry Oldaker, Superintendent of Buildings and Grounds – Ext. 17; email@example.com